Help to pay for Improvements

Grants for Home Improvements

You may be able to get help to make improvements to your home. The type of help will depend on a number of things - for instance where you live, your income, whether you are disabled or 'over a certain age' and whether you rent or own your home. 

Some grant schemes aim to improve the overall neighbourhood by offering help with external work such as replacement windows and roofs, while others offer adaptations such as a stairlift or level access shower to allow you to live safely and comfortably in your home.

If you rent your home remember to talk to your landlord before making any home improvements.


Help if you are Elderly or Disabled

There are a number of options available to help people who are elderly or disabled to maintain or improve their homes. These include:

  • a small grant from the Council to pay for qualifying home improvements costing up to £5000. Applicants must be aged 65+, receive a qualifying benefit and live in a property in Council Tax band A-D. For more information Tel: 029 2053 7269
  • a Disabled Facilities Grant to help pay for adaptations which allow the disabled person to live more independently.
  • Financial help with energy bills and energy efficiency in the home.

If you need to make smaller repairs or adaptations to your home the Cardiff Care & Repair Scheme may be able to help.

The Council and Housing Associations have a schedule of maintenance work planned for their properties. This includes work to ensure that all properties meet the Welsh Housing Quality Standard by the end of 2012. Works include new kitchens and bathrooms and safe-by-design doors. You can contact your landlord to find out if any work is planned for your property.

If you want to carry out any home improvements yourself you should always check with your landlord first.

Other help

The Council has a number of schemes which help to improve neighbourhoods and make them better places to live. Some of the schemes include work to improve the outside of individual homes, for instance by fitting new windows, repairing roofs and rendering walls.

Age Concern


Care & Repair