Housing Options - Student Accommodation

Student Accommodation

With a large number of halls of residence, student houses and flats provided by the universities, privately owned halls of residence and a good supply of privately rented accommodation there is plenty of choice avialable to students.

The accommodation offices of the universities give advice and guidance on the options available. Traditionally, first year students choose to live in halls of residence, arranged through the Accommodation Services at the university, with the option to move out into the private rented sector after completing their first year.


If university halls are not available, Accommodation Services are on hand to give guidance on direct lets to private halls and private rented accommodation. You can also get information from the Cardiff University Students' Union website.

Students are advised to seek out accredited landlords and letting agents when looking for accommodation in the private rented sector. Housing lists provided by the universities list accredited landlords and, by 2011, will only include landlords accredited through Landlords Accreditation Wales (LAW). The website, cardiffdigs.co.uk, gives guidance on the options available, accredited letting agents, accommodation services and advisory services from the universities and unions, plus useful information and practical tips about student life.