Housing Options - Privately Rented Accommodation

An example of private rented accommodation

There is a good supply of privately rented accommodation in Cardiff and properties are available in most areas. Renting privately offers:

  • Choice - a range of accommodation exists with flats and apartments being more readily available in some areas and houses in others
  • Flexibility - you choose which areas you want to consider
  • Speed - properties are available now
  • Furnished and non-furnished properties are available

More information about renting privately in Cardiff is available here


Can I afford it?

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit (you can download the application form here) to help you pay the rent. You can use the Council's Housing Benefit Calculator to get an instant benefit estimate or contact the Council's Benefit Take Up Team. Remember that you will also have to pay other bills such as gas, electricity and water - use the budget calculator or budget planner to help make sure that you can cover these costs.

Will Housing Benefit fully cover the rent?

The maximum amount of Housing Benefit that can be paid depends on the size of the property that your household needs and is set by Local Housing Allowance rates. Please note that you may not receive the maximum amount as your household income and savings will be taken into account to assess your Housing Benefit claim.

What if I can't afford to pay a bond?

If you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness, and do not have savings or access to money to pay a bond, Cardiff Council's Housing Options Centre may be able to help. They will assess your housing needs and, if you meet the criteria for help, may be able to offer the landlord a bond guarantee certificate. The criteria are strict and the fund is limited and only available if you are living in Cardiff. For more information contact the Housing Options Centre at Hansen Street (off Dumballs Road) Tel: 029 2057 0750. They may signpost you to other relevant organisations including Cardiff Bond Board (Tel : 029 2064 2013).

If you are not able to get help with a bond via the Housing Options Centre but are in receipt of qualifying benefits you can apply for a Social Fund Budgeting Loan. This is a tax free loan and no interest is charged but you do have to pay the loan back.

Remember: If you pay a cash bond to a landlord they must protect it under one of the Government's authorised tenancy deposit schemes and tell you within 30 days of receiving it which scheme they have used. If you have any dispute with your landlord always seek advice.

How long will I be able to stay?

Tenancies are generally 'assured shorthold' for 6 or 12 months. They can usually be extended if you haven't breached the terms of your tenancy agreement. As always, contact an advice agency if you need help.

What about furniture?

Furnished and unfurnished properties are available in most areas of the city.
Track2000, The Salvation Army and Freecycle may be able to assist with your furniture needs.

Alternatively, you may want to find out whether you are eligible for a Budgeting Loan to help with the costs of furniture/household equipment or other costs associated with the move.

How can I find a property?

Use the Available Properties link to find details of properties owned by landlords who accept Housing Benefit. Some are managed via Cadwyn Housing Association's CanDo Lettings scheme, while others are managed by individual landlords or letting agents.

The Landlord Accreditation Wales website provides details of landlords who are accredited and should therefore provide well managed accommodation. Similarly, the ALMA website provides information about letting agents who meet specific professional management standards.