Help with Paying Your Bills

Paying bills

If you are struggling to pay your gas, electricity and water bills you may be able to get help. Contact your supplier direct to ask about their 'social tariff' or click on the logos below to find out more. 

You can also think about reducing your bills by changing how you live, or making home improvements which will help you use less energy.You may even be able to get a grant to help with some of these.

If you want to talk to an independent advisor about your options call the Home Heat Helpline on 0800 33 66 99.


Gas & Electricity - is there a cheaper option for you?

Most energy companies have schemes to help people who:

  • are on a low income
  • receive certain welfare benefits or
  • whose energy bills are high compared to their income

To find out if your supplier can help click on their logo to the right -->

Water bills

If your water bill is high, either because you have a large family or because a member of your household has a medical condition that results in high water use, you may be able to get help through the Welsh Water Assist Scheme. To qualify you must be receiving certain welfare benefits.

Winter Fuel/Cold Weather Payments

If you have reached the qualifying age you may get a Winter Fuel Payment to help pay for keeping warm in winter. For winter 2011/12 payments will be between £100 and £300 depending on your situation. If you have had the payment in previous years you should automatically get it again this year, but if you have any queries call the Winter Fuel Payments Helpline on 0845 915 1515.

If you receive Pension Credit, Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), you may also be able to get a Cold Weather Payment for each seven day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March. Click here for more information.