Making a complaint

Private rented sector homepage > Living in the private sector

If you are living in a privately rented property and are unhappy with:

  • the way that either the way that your landlord or their agent has treated you
  • the condition of the property you live in
  • neighbouring properties, which are causing a nuisance to you

you should contact (insert EVH contact details)

Legislation requires councils to investigate and, if appropriate, take action where a statutory nuisance arising from one premises affects the use or enjoyment of another premises.

Environmental protection legislation also enables the Council to deal with statutory nuisances and conditions which may present a threat to public health. Problems which can be tackled under these wide ranging powers include dust fumes, steam and smells from premises, accumulations and deposits of waste/noxious refuse, animals kept so as to cause nuisance, premises in an unsanitary state.

Where a statutory nuisance is exists the Council will take steps to have the nuisance stopped. This may include advising the source that a problem exists and giving advice. If this approach is not sufficient, an Abatement Notice can be served upon the person responsible, requesting that the nuisance be abated. Failure to comply with an Abatement Notice is an offence and prosecution can result in a fine of up to £20,000.

The most common causes of Statutory Nuisance are:

  • Accumulations of Refuse
  • Air pollution
  • Noise
  • Light pollution
  • Drainage
  • Filthy and verminous premises

In addition, if you have been the victim of illegal harassment or illegal eviction by a landlord, the Council is obliged to investigate and prosecute the matter. If you have suffered illegal eviction and harassment you should contact (insert EVH contact details).