Housing Options - Council and Housing Association Accommodation

An example of council accommodation

Cardiff Council and the Housing Associations in the city have a common waiting list for their properties. Anyone aged 16 or over can apply but you should think about:

  • Where you want to live - are there Council or Housing Association properties in that area?
  • How long will you have to wait?
  • Would renting privately suit you better?
  • What are the differences between Council and Housing Association tenancies?

Information is also included below for existing Council and Housing Association tenants who want to move, or who are interested in buying their home.


Did you know?

There are approximately 10,000 people on the Common Waiting List, and over 700 new applications are received each month. Only 1,500 or so Council and Housing Association properties become available for letting each year.

I have applied - how long will I have to wait?

People are often surprised at how few properties the Council and Housing Associations now have and how long the waiting list is. The Waiting Time Calculator provides information to help people who have applied for housing decide whether renting from the Council/Housing Associations is right for them at the moment. This includes details of:

  • Where the Council and Housing Associations have properties
  • The number of lettings made in the various areas of the city
  • The number of applicants waiting to be housed
  • Estimated waiting times

Have a look at the information to help you decide what you want to do.

I haven't applied yet - what are my options?

You can use the Waiting Time Calculator to get an idea of the availability of Council and Housing Association properties in different areas of the city and how many applicants are waiting for those areas. Think about whether this is the best option for you, and if you want to apply visit a Council Hub or Housing Association office to ask for an application form. An appointment will be made for you to attend a Housing Application Interview, where you will be given housing advice based on your needs.

The maps also provide information at a glance including availability of private rented sector properties which may be more suitable for you depending on where you want to live.

If you are working, you may also want to think about buying a property through a shared equity scheme.

Do you need an adapted property?

The Cardiff Accessible Homes Scheme is run in conjunction with the Welsh Assembly Government and the major Housing Associations in Cardiff to meet the housing needs of disabled applicants. You can register for the scheme if you, or somebody in your household, is disabled and need to move to a suitably adapted property. For further information contact the Cardiff Accessible Homes Scheme on Tel: 02920 468408 or by email at cah@ccha.org.uk.

Are you an existing Council or Housing Association Tenant?

Existing Council and Housing Association tenants who want to move can apply for an exchange or transfer.

Homeswapper is a national website which helps tenants find a suitable exchange either in Cardiff or elsewhere.

Alternatively, to apply for a transfer to another Council or Housing Association property in Cardiff telephone 029 2053 7131 or visit your local Hub or Housing Association office.

Please remember: There can only be one succession PER TENANCY regardless of changes of address.

Asbestos in Council owned properties

All Council properties have been (or are planned to be) checked for asbestos. To see what kinds of asbestos, if any, has been found in your property please visit our asbestos checker, type in part of your street name and choose your property.

More information can be found by following the links within the asbestos checker pages.

Characteristics of a Joint Tenancy

Joint tenants are jointly and individually liable for the obligations of the tenancy. For example, they are all liable for paying the whole rent. Therefore, if one joint tenant leaves, the other tenant can be pursued for any unpaid rent or making good any damage.

A joint tenant cannot exclude the other without a court order.

A tenant can not assign from joint to sole, or release, or relinquish their rights for the benefit of the other unless ordered by the Court.

A Court may order an assignment under divorce/dissolution laws or under the Children Act 1989 from a joint tenancy to a sole tenancy.

By serving a Notice to Quit, a joint tenant terminates the whole tenancy and can do so without the consent of the other. Once the Notice to Quit expires any remaining occupant becomes a trespasser.

On the death of a joint tenant the tenancy is vested in the remaining tenant(s) by survivorship. On the death of all tenants no further succession can take place.

Available Council and Housing Association Properties

Available Private Properties

Retirement Properties

Area Profiles

House Swap Wales

Home Swapper

Right To Buy